Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ryanair delivers and we somehow made the flight to London….

 

I was sprinting desperately in the direction of the departure gate, pushing the buggy with one hand, dreading the sight of a closed gate and the argument I would be forced to have with the Ryanair staff (that would surely be as bad as their reputation proceeds) and trying to strip off the layers of clothing with the other hand. It might have been 4° outside but it was roasting in the terminal and I was dressed for the cold winter. The scarf came off and then the jacket, still sprinting in the direction of gate 7 to make my flight to London to see Tara and Dylan. Amelie was gazing up at me grinning thinking this was the most fun she had in her buggy in a long time. It was probably pretty comical watching me struggle with the bags, boarding passes, jackets and buggy all at once sweat dripping from my forehead and a grinning baby being hurtled along in a bugaboo weaving dangerously in and out of innocent bystanders. At some stage Amelie’s sleep toy Blue Bear fell out, someone kindly yelled and chased me dumping him back in the buggy well at least that was one thing that had made the flight.

I had abandoned the essentials and left them in Trunki with the confused looking security staff in the airport. Hoping that they would not destroy Trunki (being unattended baggae and all) and all his contents that I had so carefully packed for Ammie I had only one thing on my mind, making that flight. I had been looking forward to seeing Tara and her family for so long, it has been tough missing her here from Dublin and not seeing her in months we used to see each other practically every day and the babies really missed each other too. Amelie was deliriously excited to see Dylan I had no idea how I would explain myself if we didn’t go on the plane and I didn’t deliver a Dylan at the end as I had promised....

“This is a final boarding call for flight FR1113 to London Gatwick. The gate will be closing please make your way to gate 7” Came blearing over the loud speaker… Help I thought I’m not even at gate 1 yet, I fought back the tears damn it I was going to make this flight and see my friends in London no matter what! Somehow by some miracle I made it. Puffing and panting I dug into my purse for the passport and boarding passes. I couldn’t speak. Amelie was smiling and the Ryan Air staff looked amused. They directed me to the lift and told me to leave the buggy at the bottom of the stairs. Still puffing and panting and rushing I think as I hadn’t had the chance to slow down I Got Amelie out of the buggy. I stood her next to me and gave her my bag to hold (assure fire way for her to feel responsible and stand still for two minutes) I folded down the buggy and scooped up my monkey and went up the stairs, realising on the way Amelie had a wet nappy and I had left everything behind at security! Oh no!

When the Ryanair staff greeted me at the top of the stairs I explained my predicament about the nappies and asked if they kept any on the flight. They very kindly explained they didn’t but that they would find me a nappy and not to worry. They were very kind and understanding. They also pointed out that the flight wasn’t full so if I sat Amelie on my lap for take-off and landing that she could have a seat for the flight. Of all the bad things I have heard about Ryanair I was really impressed. Just after take-off the flight attendant came to see me with nappies and wipes in hand and explained she had asked another mother on the flight to help me out. I was touched at the kindness of a stranger and at the effort she went to help me. I purchased a kids-pack which solved the problem of a snack and entertainment for Amelie. She ate the cheese dippers, did a little colouring in, feeling very grown up in her own seat and before I knew it we were landing in London. Yay, finally!

It was a really pleasant flight and I just want to say that I could not fault Ryanair, the customer service was probably the best I had received on a flight to date. They accepted the two piece buggy and were very helpful when we landed helping me down the stairs in Gatwick to arrivals.  I guess I learnt that Ryanair aren’t as bad as they had been made out to be. What is more all of the careful planning I did to pack Amelie snacks, drinks, mini toys, and nappies was really unnecessary. While I am sure that if Trunki had of made the flight it may have been a little easier it didn’t matter in the slightest. Ryanair delivered everything I needed and at the end of the  day Amelie was so excited to be on a plane and the journey was so short that it was easy to stay calm, and calm Mummy = calm Amelie. I really enjoyed the flight with Ryanair and would fly with them again in the future. If you are planning on Ryanair with your little one expect to be taken care of just make sure that you check the requirements before you leave. Trunkis and Bugaboo Chameleons are ok but additional infant luggage is not. There web-site is very comprehensive and any questions you still have just search Google there will be an online Mummy forum with answers I promise.

I have loads more to tell about my great, long overdue trip to London to visit Tara but that is enough for today so I will post again soon. Thanks to everyone who has been visiting the blog even though we have been slack with posts lately, we will try to get back into the swing of things.

Keep posted for more on our trip to Tara's house in London Town…

Here are a few fun photo's from our trip...



Angi x

No comments:

Post a Comment