Sunday, November 13, 2011

Get those bubbas and toddlers outdoors... Rainbusters are a must!

What gorgeous weather we have had this weekend. I am so pleased. It has just been lovely, cold but dry and sunny so we can’t ask for much better for this time of year. The recent rain and the thought of a dreary, rainy and long winter has brought me to this post.
I recently attended a Siolta Seminar on connecting young children to the outdoors, one of the biggest issues that arose at the seminar and one of the biggest issues I have noticed in the childcare industry is the fear parents have of exposing their children to the elements and the lack of suitable wet weather gear available at affordable prices. So to cut a long story short this post is a huge plug for Rain Busters…
I do not know how parents in Ireland survive without these for their children. Amelie wears hers most days and can go anywhere in any weather. She loves them and even putting them on she knows that she is in for an adventure. They came recommended by a friend of mine and since I got Ammies I have never looked back. I will be dressing her in rain busters for years to come; there is no question in my mind. 
Pop over to their lovely website and online shop at http://www.rainbusters.ie/


 Amelie and her mate Hugo at the beach in their rainbusters!


This is the set we have for Amelie: fleeced lined, cosy, keeps her dry and the pattern is just adorable little skulls with pink bows, I love it :)
Children have an internal and natural desire to explore the outdoors. It is so important that they are given the chance to get out in the air, the dirt, the sand, the grass, the forest, the beach, the hills, the ditches, the puddles and the mud to experience what the world has to offer. From the smallest children who are learning through their senses the outside world offers endless sensory experiences that don’t cost a thing, to older children who need space, and lots of it to be free to run, skip, jump, zigzag, climb, dig, crawl and roll the outdoors is so important.

There is alarming evidence out there that shows that children of today are being raised indoors and not getting enough outdoor time. I have read articles that say infants and toddlers should spend a minimum of 90 minutes outside a day to significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular disorders. Studies also show that a connection to the outdoor world can increase healing times of sick children and reduce the symptoms of attention deficit disorder in children under five years old. Children who spend more time outside also have higher vitamin D levels which is important for healthy bone development. I do not know who this makes you all feel but for me personally as someone who was raised in the back garden, ours or Grandma’s or at the beach most days I get restless with Amelie inside too long. Rainbusters have been a life saver for me and I have so much fun putting on the willies/gum boots, stomping in puddles and running through mud with my daughter. It makes me feel so young and free and Amelie is such a little adventurer, she loves the wet and mud and isn’t afraid of the world. This makes me a very happy Mumma.
Have a great week, I hope you get loads of time to be outdoors :)
Angi x

No comments:

Post a Comment